By: Tamika Fletcher, Owner of Natural Resources Salon in Houston, TX
Originally posted as tips for protective styling with weave or hair extension. These tips are also helpful for preventing damage to your natural hair while wearing weave.
Protective styles can be worn to grow, repair, strengthen or protect hair in transition from chemicals or natural elements such as harsh winter wind. They’re not meant to add insult to injury. For example, wearing tight microbraids on a weak fragile hair line.
If your considering hair extensions try:
1. Two strand twist extensions that use soft hair fibers that can be moisturized, shampooed an styled with ease.
The most important tips for hair extensions is to
2. Be careful when removing hair.
3. Speak to your stylist about a short tutorial on proper removal of your extensions. Tangled hair should never be shampooed. Detangle with a light leave in conditioner before shampoo. Extensions can be worn 2 1/2 to 3 months with proper maintenance. However, tension should always be avoided.
4. Be honest when your stylist asks about tension. There’s no need to grin and bare it! There are new techniques for hair weaves for example that do not require needles, thread, glue or individual braids.
5. Be creative. Flat twist and rod sets with various size twist and rods are great choices for naturals or hair in transition that are not interested in extensions. Try a set of Curl Fomers (Sallys ) to experiment with curls with any hair texture.
Tamika Fletcher is the co-owner of Natural Resources Salon, a chemical free hair salon in Houston, TX. The salon specializes in natural hair care, organic products and the treatment of hair loss among adults and children. Tamika is a strong advocate on environmental awareness and client education and hopes to inspire others to work toward “green” lifestyle choices while making smart beauty decisions.