5 Steps to Building a Good Relationship with Your Natural Hair
By: Alicia James
I always compare my relationship with my hair to a marriage. LOL! A bite dramatic, but it works! When you have a good relationship with your hair, you enjoy it and you stay consistent. You are not distracted by the newest magic pills, product, or rules. NO ONE knows your hair better than you!
Here are my 5 Tips for Building a Healthy Relationship with your hair.
- What is your Ultimate Goal? (where is this relationship going?)
- What are your hair goals?
- Are you aiming for healthier hair?
- Are you trying to achieve a longer length?
- Are you trying to correct previous damage?
- Realistic Expectations:
- You cannot expect your hair to do things it was not designed to do. Many spend valuable time trying to create a look or style that they are never able to achieve. In the end doing irreversible damage to their hair.
- Length goals are great, but make sure it makes sense. On AVERAGE most people grow about 6 inches per year (1/2 an inch per month), and only retain 3-4 inches of that.
- Quality Time:
- Spend time with your hair find its likes and dislikes
- Don’t be afraid to play in your hair a little. Create styles that are simple, fun, and fit your personality.
- Try products and find what your responds well to for moisture and styling. Once you find those products, stick to them. [ad#ad1]
- You Will Make Mistakes:
- The journey will not be perfect! You will try things that do not work
- Don’t give up when things are not going as planned. Reevaluate your current regimen and change the products or routines that are setting you back.
- You are learning, it’s all about building a strong relationship with your hair.
- Love and Commitment:
- Commit to a consistent regimen so that you can meet your ultimate goal.
- Fall in love with your hair! It may not hold a twist out or braid out like the next, it may not curl and twirl around your fingers, it may not shake and fly in the wind, it may not hang down your shoulders, but it is yours, embrace it!