Recently, there was a quiz published on Essence website, “Friends or Frenemies”. What a interesting question to ask ourselves about our hair? Like our best friends we can be our worst enemy when it comes to how we perceive our hair optimally effecting our own self image and confidence level. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to determine whether you are a friend or foe to your natural hair. Simply answer with yes or no.
1. Are you constantly comparing your hair to other peoples hair, making comments like why can’t my hair do that or I wish my hair was more like…?
2. Do you manipulate your hair in order to make look or act a certain way that is unlike its natural texture? (other than regular styling such as chemical treatments texturizer, color, using products with harsh potentially harmful ingredients)
3. Do you talk negatively about others and/or your natural hair?
4. When others compliment your hair are you quick to point out her flaws?
5. Are you opposed to wearing your natural hair out because your afraid it won’t look or act right?
10-8 points True Friend
You absolutely adore your natural hair and others. You have her best interest at heart. You know if you take care of your self that your taking care of her.
7-6 points Associate/Acquaintance
Your still in the “getting to know you” phase. You like your hair but not sure how she will act outside. Your learning what makes her tick. Stay encourage once you figure out what works and doesn’t you will become the best of friends.
5-0 points Foe Fo Sho
Girl, why don’t you like your natural hair? No really, you need to ask yourself how can I make this relationship work. You may find that your view of your natural is not realistic and dictated from the media and others perception of natural hair. You may need to face facts that you are a frenemy but that you can turn this relationship around with a little work and understanding.