These 10 Tips for moisturizing natural hair will leave you with more hydrated hair.
If your efforts to add moisture to your hair seem in vain, then it maybe time for a shampooing session. Your products may simply be sitting on top of your hair, rather than moisturizing it.
2. Pre-poo your hair. If you hair feels excessively dry during the wash process, then consider pre-pooing your hair with an oil of your choice. Coconut oil is a great option for pre-pooing hair since it reduces protein loss that occurs during the wash process.
4. Steam your hair. Don’t want to co-wash your hair mid-week? Consider steaming your hair. The QRedew Handheld Steamer is a great way to steam your hair on the go.
Another option is to steam your hair in the shower. Steaming your hair is a a great way to lift the hair cuticle so that products can better penetrate the hair. Furthermore, steaming is much less wear and tear on your hair than co-washing your hair.
5. Deep condition your hair. If you’ve been skipping the deep conditioning portion of your wash, then it’s time to add this important step back to your hair regimen.
For even better results, use indirect heat so that the conditioner can better penetrate the hair. When selecting a conditioner, pick one that specifically states “deep conditioner” or “conditioning masque” on the bottle. These conditioners are specifically designed for deep conditioning. Here’s a list of our 5 Favorite Deep Conditioners.
6. Use the LOC (Liquid-Oil-Cream) method to moisturize your hair. In this method, the water moisturizes your hair, the oil helps your hair hold onto the water molecules, and the cream locks in the moisture. For more information about the LOC Method, read LOC Method for Natural Hair.
7. Use a water-based moisturizer. Water is the key to moisture. So, no, grease will not moisturize your hair. Instead, find a daily moisturizer where the the first ingredient is water or make your own with these 5 DIY Moisturizing Sprays.
If you like products like shea butters and oils, remember to spritz your hair with water then seal in that moisture using the LOC method described above.
8. Don’t be afraid of water. I know I just mentioned it, but it’s worth repeating. With a relaxer, water is not your friend.
But with natural hair, water is your best friend. Yes, humidity, will frizz out your hair. Rain will ruin your blow out.
In time, you will learn the tricks for styling your hair under these conditions. But while you figure it out, don’t forget that water is still your friend.
9. Drink water! Healthy hair begins with a healthy diet. And since our bodies is over 80% water and is needed to for almost every bodily function, you shouldn’t forget to drink it. Drinking water and eating a healthy diet are much more effective at growing healthy hair than any vitamin.
10. Pay attention to your hair’s moisture. If your hair feels dry and brittle, make sure that your properly moisturize your hair. If you hair feels limp and lifeless, then you hair may actually over-moisturized. [It’s possible.] Constantly assess your hair needs and act accordingly. Don’t wait until major breakage occurs before you act.
See also: Your Hair Isn’t Unmanageable. It’s Dry.
So there you have it! 10 tips for moisturized hair. Tell us in the Comment Section below
How Do You Moisturize Your Hair?