This is a common problem within the natural hair community with many “solutions”. Yes, I said “solutions” and yes, its in quotation marks. I’m here to be the bearer of bad news. Beware of what you read on many natural hair sites. And don’t buy every hair product that claims to moisturize. Only few products on the market moisturize hair that is drier in textures. Many of the oils and butters suggested to moisturize only seal in existing moisture. Point blank no one hair product is going to “fix” or “solve” your dry natural hair problem. I apologize for the disappointment.
If this is true how can I keep my natural hair from being so dry?
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. Moisturize your natural hair from the inside out. Your whole body will thank you. Read more
- Shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo once to every two weeks. Shampoo lifts dirt, excess products and other adverse debris. Read more
- Water is the best and most effective moisturize. Use water-based hair products especially conditioners.
- Moisturize everyday by adding some type of water to your hair & scalp. You should drink water and moisturize your skin daily so why should your hair be any different. Read more
- Apply products from root to tip evenly throughout hair.
- Avoid products that coat the hair vs. absorb into the hair such as mineral oil, castor oil, petroleum etc.
- Use natural products or products with natural ingredients to seal in moisture from water and smooth the hair shaft such as shea butter, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin and other nutrient rich oils/butters. These products can all be purchased here
- Cover hair with a satin scarf/bonnet or sleep on a satin pillow case while sleeping.